The Best Blueberry Pie Recipe
Summer is about half over, and we wanted to take any chance to enjoy the rest of
summer as much as we can. My husband's family is going to have a family reunion this weekend, they are trying to make it a tradition to have it once every year. Which is a nice thing to do. Anyone can bring their own food, and we all share the food and ask how things are going in their lives. So here comes my question: What kind of food should I bring to the reunion?
Right now is blueberry season. Thanks to our nice neighbor they let us pick from the 15 blueberry bushes they’ve grown. So I think I am going to make some tasty and fresh blueberry pie. Brenda and her husband are really taking care of the blueberry bushes. They cover them with nets, so the birds can’t reach the blueberries, so the birds wouldn't eat them all. In about 1 hour we picked a big bowl of juicy blueberries.
Now it’s time to make the blueberry pie. I found the recipe in Southern Living CookBook, and I added more sugar in the recipe, to make it less tart and the way our family likes.
Pie Filling :
4 Cups fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon lemon juice
9 inch pie crust( Home made or store bought)
1.5 cups sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon sugar
- Sprinkle berries with lemon juice, set aside.
- Roll half of pastry pie crust to 1/8 inch thickness on a floured surface . Place in a 9 inch pie-plate.
- Combine 1 and half cup sugar, Ap flour, salt and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Add to berries, stirring well. Pour into pastry crust. and dot with butter.
- Roll remaining pastry to 1/8 inch thickness. Place over filling, seal and crimp edges.
- Cut slits in top of curst to allow steam to escape. Brush top of crust with beaten egg and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake at 400 F for 40 minutes or until the crust golden brown.
you can substitute 2 (14-ounce) packages frozen blueberries, thawed and drained. Just increase the flour to 1/2 cup.
You can forego the solid top curst and cut the top pastry into strips and make a lattice on top of pie like the above picture.
Now let’s go to pick some fresh blueberries and make this yummy juicy blueberry pie together!